Honda has released the first of its 2014 models, and included in the lineup is the Grom 125. While the compact Grom may look like an oversized scooter or pit-bike, it is in fact street-legal and listed as a sportbike by Honda. The Grom is powered by a fuel injected, single-cylinder 125cc engine that has a four-speed gearbox and manual clutch. Running gear includes an inverted 31mm fork and 12-inch tires, and the Grom has a 29.7-inch seat height and weighs a claimed 225 pounds. List price is set at $2999.
More information from Honda's press material follows:
More All-New Models Join the 2014 Honda Lineup
Torrance, CA: The exciting 2014 model year continues as American Honda introduces four brand-new models that clearly demonstrate the incredibly wide reach of Honda engineering; this is the kind of innovation Honda enthusiasts have come to expect over the years. In addition to these all-new models, this announcement also includes a number of successful and favorite returning models.
"This is really a fun time for Honda fans, as we unveil these four incredibly cool all-new machines for 2014 that reach out to entirely different segments of the market," said Powersports Press Manager Bill Savino. "This introduction serves as a perfect example of what 2014 is going to be like for Honda, as we continue to bring diverse and completely new concepts to riders, no matter what kind of machines they might favor."
Okay, admit it: When you first look at the sporty and compact Grom™ you just have to smile. And no matter how long you’ve been riding, you just want to throw a leg over this bike and twist the throttle. It’s an excellent fit for both new and experienced riders, but to Gen Y buyers in particular the Grom carries a bit of attitude while promising fun times: the compact frame size, low seat, inverted front fork and hydraulic disc brakes make this the real deal. The fuel-injected 125cc engine delivers lots of torque, the 4-speed manual transmission works just like any other full-sized bike, the maneuverability and handling make it a joy to ride, and there’s even room for a passenger. Factor in its efficient size with an affordable price, and there’s just no way you can pass up this chance to get out and ride. Because no matter who you are, the Grom will keep you smiling, ride after ride. Colors: Pearl Red, Metallic Black; Price: $2999; Availability: August http://powersports.honda.com/2014/grom.aspx
Features and Benefits
- Single-cylinder 125cc SOHC four-stroke engine packs a perfect blend of performance with impressive fuel efficiency plus accessible and fun all-around ability.
- The engine uses low-friction technology such as an offset cylinder and a roller rocker arm for the valve gear.
- Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) offers excellent throttle response over a wide range of riding conditions by continuously monitoring several variables to ensure the correct fuel mixture for the existing riding and atmospheric conditions.
- The four-speed gearbox is managed via a manual clutch and offers smooth and consistent gear changes.
- Compact chassis features a sturdy steel frame.
- Telescopic inverted 31mm front fork, like a full-size motorcycle, delivers 3.9 inches of well-controlled travel.
- Steel box-section rear swingarm and a sturdy single shock yield 4.1 inches of comfortable rear-wheel travel.
- Single front 220mm disc with hydraulic dual-piston caliper and single rear 190mm disc with hydraulic single-piston caliper deliver strong stopping power.
- Compact 47.4-inch wheelbase and light curb weight of 225 pounds results in amazing agility to boost rider confidence.
- LCD digital dash includes speedometer, odometer/A&B; tripmeters, clock and fuel gauge.
- Available in Pearl Red and Metallic Black.
- Transferable one-year limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
Engine Type: 124.9cc air-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke
Bore and Stroke: 52.4mm x 57.9mm
Compression ratio: 9.3:1
Valve Train: SOHC; two valves per cylinder
Induction: PGM-FI with automatic enrichment
Final Drive: Chain
Front: 31mm inverted fork; 3.9 inches travel
Rear: Single shock with steel box-section swingarm; 4.1 inches travel
Front: Single 220mm disc with hydraulic dual-piston caliper
Rear: Single 190mm disc with hydraulic single-piston caliper
Wheelbase: 47.4 inches
Rake (Caster Angle): 25° 0’.
Trail: 81mm (3.2 inches)
Seat Height: 29.7 inches
Fuel Capacity: 1.45 gallons
Fuel Economy Estimate**: TBD
Colors: Pearl Red, Metallic Black
Curb Weight*: 225 pounds
*Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel—ready to ride.
**Miles per gallon values are calculated estimates of fuel consumed during laboratory exhaust emissions tests specified by the EPA, not during on-road riding. Use for comparison purposes only. Your actual mileage will vary depending on how you ride and maintain your vehicle, weather, road conditions, tire pressure, cargo and accessories, rider and passenger weight, and other factors.
Meets current EPA and CARB standards.