From Aprilia's press material:
THE UNIVERSAL STREETFIGHTER. AGGRESSIVE, NAKED HYPER LOOK WITH HIGH BARS FOR TOTAL CONTROL. UNBEATABLE PERFORMANCE, AND EASY RIDING COMBINED.
Aprilia's Tuono Fighter hit the streets for the first time at Intermot 2002. The new Tuono is the logical development of the 2002 RSV Mille R Tuono, a prestige bike made in limited series of only 200 - which sold out in a few days.
The enthusiastic press and furore surrounding the Tuono "R" gave just a taste of this new production Tuono Fighter. The aggressive look of the R version is still there, as are the same excellent dynamics and guaranteed riding sensation, but the price tag is well within reach. The Tuono is not just another naked. It is much, much more. Its powerful V twin engine delivers an astounding 126 horsepower and is closely related to the racing power unit on the RSV Mille, Europe's best selling sports twin. That is why we call the Tuono a naked hyper. The Tuono Fighter delivers performance that our competitors simply cannot approach, performance that is made 100% usable by a professional chassis and aerodynamic windshield.
Compared to a traditional sports bike, the Aprilia Tuono Fighter gives unimaginable levels of agility and comfort. The wide, high handlebars give better rider control and easier, more instinctive riding. The high bars also reduce weight and strain on the forearms, making the riding position comfortable for mountain roads and city streets. Think of the Tuono as a unique version of the RSV Mille sports, a factory special with unbeatable riding dynamics. A true streetfighter, born to make mince meat of bends and to stun with its uniquely personal style.
You simply cannot remain indifferent faced with an Tuono Fighter. The sheer visual impact of the bike just won't let you! The lack of fairing leaves your eyes feast on the powerful 60-degree V twin, and prestigious components provide class and attract the eye to high technology heart of the beast. The components of this exceptional V twin compete one with another in a play of exceptional visual power. The minimal bodywork protects the engine's vital parts, but leaves just enough show through the eye-catching metal mesh grill. The nylon buffers protect the bike in case of a fall and give a clear racing message, reminding you that the Tuono is pretty effective on the track. Even the belly pan is functional as well as stylish, housing the oil cooler. Aluminium guards protect the coolant radiator and two stylish air intakes complete the aesthetics around the engine and ensure the necessary air flow into the air box. Everything about the Tuono's hyper design emphasises the bike's blistering performance. The aggressive windshield is specially designed, gives the front end a streamlined look, and provides surprisingly effective wind protection for the rider. In fact it performs a fundamental aerodynamic function, creating ground-loading and keeping the front end stable at high speeds.
The minimalist and streamlined fuel tank and tail add to the Tuono Fighter's streetfighter lines, leaving all important parts of the motorcycle clearly visible, including the aluminium twin-spar frame and differential member swing-arm. The TUONO FIGHTER' professional appearance is topped off by a level of attention to detail never before seen on a naked, with all parts designed to match the bike's looks. The wide, high handlebars and characteristic long risers add the finishing touches to this streetfighter of unique personality.
Propelled by the most powerful twin in its class, the Tuono Fighter sets new standards and thoroughly deserves its definition as a naked hyper. 126 horsepower and mighty torque delivered smoothly even at low revs deliver riding intensity and superlative performance made 100% usable by an excellent chassis and ergonomic riding position. The Tuono Fighter instantly establishes a feeling with its rider. The meaty power output and agile frame of this naked hyperbike simply cannot fail to amaze on winding roads.
While low noise and vibration levels make this naked hyper pleasant to ride around town, its blistering speed and acceleration allow it to turn in winning times on the track too.
Great care has gone into achieving smooth power delivery. The Tuono Fighter is specially ridable at medium revs thanks to specially designed intake manifolds and specific EPROM mapping, optimised to increase the already impressive fluidity and smoothness of this 60-degree V twin. In all other aspects the power unit is identical to that installed in the RSV Mille, one of the highest performance, fastest sports twins on the race track. This Aprilia engine is recognised as the standard setter for performance, reliability, compact size and light weight. The version with uncatalysed exhaust complies with Euro 1 emission standards while the catalysed version (sold on markets requiring catalysed exhausts) satisfies Euro 2 standards, though delivering the same performance. In fact, this Aprilia twin cylinder power unit boasts the same technical features that have allowed the RSV Mille to win such acclaim on track and road.
- 60-degree V twin design, with 4 valves per cylinder and double overhead cams with mixed gear/chain timing drive.
- Electronic fuel injection with 51 mm throttle bodies and one injector per cylinder.
- CDI capacitor discharge ignition combined with Twin Spark Ignition (TSI) with two spark plugs per cylinder. Ignition timing is controlled by the same integrated engine management system that also controls fuel injection.
- Dry sump lubrication, for a more rigid and compact sump than wet sump engines, with no risk of lubrication failure under near-the-limit track conditions (fierce acceleration and braking, wheelies). the Tuono Fighter engine is equipped with a second trochoidal pump on the return line, a separate oil reservoir, and an oil cooler mounted in front of the engine.
- Mixed gear/chain valve timing drive with the two drive gears (one per timing chain) located in the engine block to reduce cylinder head dimensions.
This sophisticated twin also incorporates the following exclusive Aprilia patents:
- AVDC (Anti Vibration Double Countershaft).
- Hydraulic action clutch assisted by the patented PPC (Pneumatic Power Clutch) system to control rear wheel bounce.
The clutch is equipped with progressive action dampers that engage to match the engine torque being delivered at all times, ensuring silky smoothness and eliminating clutch noise at low revs. Thanks to the special design of the clutch plates and to the clutch lubrication system, this unit gives an exceptional progressive action, long working life, and low lever forces.
The Tuono is derived from the RSV Mille sports and shares with it a frame that has frequently been defined as an "engineering masterpiece". The double sloping twin spars in pressed aluminium connect to silicon-aluminium alloy castings. This rational, super-lightweight structure is recognised to give the greatest torsional rigidity of any production motorcycle frame. This masterpiece is clearly visible on the Tuono Fighter, and together with the aggressive engine and highly personal bodywork ensures that the Tuono catches the eye at first glance. To make the bike looks even more aggressive, the frame and swing-arm are anodised and finished in an extremely refined bronze-titanium colour.
The Tuono Fighter uses the same top level components as the RSV Mille sports, so you can forget about costly add-ons to achieve a track-ready setup. The Aprilia Tuono Fighter comes with a 43 mm Showa upside-down fork, with adjustable preload, compression and rebound on both legs. Front wheel travel is 120 mm.
The rear suspension uses an integrated aluminium Boge piggy back monoshock, also adjustable in preload, compression, rebound, and length.
The rear suspension linkages are functional and effective, embodying as they do Aprilia's Superbike experience. These new high technology linkages give a more progressive and effective damping action on the road and on the track.
The fully adjustable suspensions allow all riders to quickly and easily set the bike up exactly as they want, to match personal preferences, riding style, and use (road or track). Once again, the Tuono ensures perfect motorcycle-rider compatibility and confirms its role as the universal performance bike.
The Tuono Fighter is a hyperbike in its brakes too. The Brembo Gold front brakes with double 320 mm floating stainless steel disks deliver impressive stopping power but with plenty of feel. And feel is why Aprilia chose to fit a conventional two pad system rather than the four pad one used on the RSV Mille supersport. The Tuono Fighter's two pad system is smoother at the onset of braking, resulting in effective and safe braking even on uneven surfaces, with plenty of feel and smoothness around town.
The rear brakes are also Brembo Gold units, with a 220 mm stainless steel disk, twin 32 mm piston calliper, and sintered pads.
The aeronautical metal braided lines enhance the Tuono's streetfighter looks, and confirm the bike as a true "factory special". Apart from looking great, these lines also eliminate the pressure variations associated with conventional rubber brake lines, guaranteeing maximum braking precision.
The Aprilia Tuono Fighter stands out immediately from other production motorcycles for its prestige components - components normally only found on far more expensive machines. This "factory special" is designed and built with all the passion and enthusiasm that go into a top streetfighter. The Aprilia Tuono Fighter combines stunning looks, prestige components and refined technology for an appeal and performance that make the bike unique and the fastest naked on the market.
- One very special prestige component is the upper triple clamp, made specially for the Tuono Fighter to permit a single piece handlebar to be fitted. The triple clamp is in extruded anticorodal machined in a numerically controlled process and anodised in a natural aluminium colour. The result is a piece that looks exactly like a one-off "special".
- The original risers are made using the same process as the top triple clamp and allow the handlebars to be fitted in raised and dropped position, enhancing agility and leaving you free to expand your riding limits in total safety. The variable position bars allow the bike to be neutral and forgiving yet blisteringly fast on the track, precise in holding a line through bends yet still easy to ride.
- The lightweight varying section ergal handlebars are anodised in gold for a professional looking front end.
- The bar ends provide effective vibration damping and make riding safer and more comfortable.
- The mirrors guarantee perfect visibility even at high speeds.
- The direction indicators not only look great but are designed in the wind tunnel to keep the air flow away from the rider's hands, increasing comfort and precision at high speeds.
- The fuel tank is manufactured in rotational nylon for minimum weight. Rotational nylon is perfect for use on the track, and even more resistant than sheet metal to small knocks and scratches. The filler cap features a machined ring and matt chrome finish.
- The digital-analog multi-function dashboard incorporates integrated injection system self-diagnostics and a 40 memory chronometer operated by the passing signal (headlight flasher). The instruments have amber back-lighting for racing feel and optimum legibility under all conditions.
- The front headlight lens is manufactured from a special plastic to ensure lightness and optimum weight distribution at a point critical to ridability. The depth and width of the beam combined with its high intensity and uniformity provide extremely high visibility lighting. The headlight also maintains the bike's family relationship to the sporting RSV Mille.
- The new "lights on" device follows the latest traffic directives (for Italy).
- The steering damper is indispensable on a high performance naked hyper like the Tuono and improves riding precision under all conditions.
- Protective nylon buffers enhance the racing appearance and limit damage in case of a slide.
- Aluminium footrests, levers and heel guards add a touch of prestige and shows the Tuono Fighter's racing derivation.
The Tuono Fighter comes in a choice of two colour variants. Tulip red really brings out the bike's aggressive racing personality, while magnet grey is a statement of its high-tech elegance.
For its very nature, a motorcycle like the Aprilia Tuono Fighter lends itself to extreme customisation. This is why Aprilia offers such a vast range of special accessories, all in prestige lightweight materials. There is even a dedicated clothing line for the rider who really wants to stand out.
- All body parts in prestige materials
- Lightweight screw and component kit
- Sachs Boge adjustable steering damper
- Ohlins adjustable steering damper
- Ohlins rear monoshock
- Racing exhaust and control unit
- Dedicated clothing line
Engine: Longitudinal 60-degree V twin, four stroke. Liquid cololing with three-way pressurised circuit. Double overhead cams, mixed gear/chain timing drive, four valves per cylinder. Patented AVDC anti-vibration double countershaft.
Fuel: 95 RON lead-free
Bore and stroke: 97 x 67.5 mm
Displacement: 997.62 cc
Compression ratio: 11.4:1
Maximum power at crank: 96 kW (126 HP) at 9,500 r.p.m.
Maximum torque at crank: 10.3 kgm (101 Nm) at 7,250 r.p.m.
Fuel injection: Integrated electronic engine management system. Indirect multi-point electronic injection., 51 mm diameter throttle bodies.
Ignition: Digital electronic ignition with TSI (Twin Spark Ignition) with two spark plugs per cylinder. Ignition timing integrated in the injection control system.
Starting: Electric starter
Generator: 12 V - 400 W
Lubrication: Dry sump with separate oil reservoir. Double trochoidal pump with oil cooler.
Gearbox: 6 speed.
Transmission ratios: 1st 35/14 (2.5)
2nd 28/16 (1.75)
3rd 26/19 (1.368)
4th 24/22 (1.091)
5th 22/23 (0.957)
6th 23/27 (0.852)
Clutch:Multiple disk in oil bath with patented PPC power-assisted hydraulic control
Primary drive:Straight toothed gears. Transmission ratio: 60/31 (1.935)
Final drive:Chain. Transmission ratio: 42/17
Frame:Box section sloping twin-spar frame in aluminium alloy. Removable aluminium alloy saddle mount frame.
Front suspension:Showa 43 mm upside-down fork with adjustment for preload, compression and rebound dampening. 120 mm wheel travel.
Rear suspension:Aluminium alloy swing-arm with differential section members. APS (Aprilia Progressive System) linkage. Boge hydraulic monoshock with adjustment for preload, compression and rebound dampening. Wheel travel 135 mm.
Brakes:Front: Brembo double floating disk in stainless steel, _ 320 mm. Four piston calliper with 2 sintered pads. Metal braided brake line. Rear: Brembo stainless steel disk, _ 220 mm. Twin piston calliper, 32 mm diameter pistons. Metal braided brake line and sintered pads.
Wheels:Cast aluminium alloy. Front: 3.50 x 17" Rear: 6.00 x 17"
Tyres: Radial tubeless; Front: 120/70 ZR 17 Rear: 190/50 ZR 17 (alternative: 180/55 ZR 17)
Maximum length 2,070 mm
Maximum width 800 mm (at handlebar)
Maximum height 1,200 mm (at windshield)
Seat height 820 mm
Handlebar height 1,040 mm at bar ends
Wheelbase 1,415 mm
Trail 99 mm
Steering angle 25 degrees
Tank: Capacity 18 litres, 4 litre reserve
Colours:Tulip red, Magnet grey
All body parts in prestige materials
Lightweight screw and component kit
Sachs Boge adjustable steering damper
Ohlins adjustable steering damper
Ohlins rear monoshock
Racing exhaust and control unit
back to the Aprilia section.
back to the Sportbike roundup.