- Aggressive Ninja styling
- Compact size and weight
- Low seat height
- Powerful twin-cylinder engine
- 649cc twin-cylinder, DOHC engine
- Parallel twin engine is the most compact in its category. The engine is considerably smaller than that of the Ninja 500 and helps reduce the dimension of the entire motorcycle.
- Tuned to deliver smooth, responsive power in the low-to mid-rpm range with exceptional roll-on response for negotiating city traffic.
- Triangular crank and transmission shaft layout makes the engine very short from front to back, a semi-dry sump oil system reduces overall engine height, while narrow pitch of the chrome composite plated aluminum cylinders helps reduce engine width.
- Muffler with 3-way catalyzer and bullet-tip opening is mounted below the engine to help lower the center of gravity and aid weight centralization.
- 180-degree crankshaft plus balancer shaft for extremely smooth engine operation.
- Oil jets connecting rod big ends spray oil on the undersides of the pistons to aid cooling.
- Maintains consistent engine temperatures for long engine life and sustained power during hard use.
- Allows closer engine tolerances for more horsepower.
- Coolant is routed through the engine cases to reduce external hoses.
Digital Fuel Injection
- 38mm Keihin throttle bodies feature sub-throttle valves for optimum performance and rideablity. The sub-throttles, located behind the main throttle valves, are controlled by the ECU so that the EFI system has more precise throttle response, similar to a constant-velocity carburetor.
- Precise fuel injection plus exhaust catalyzer significantly reduce emissions.
- Automatic fast idle system makes starting and warm-up easy.
Digital Capacitor Discharge Ignition (CDI) System
- Microprocessor-controlled timing never needs adjustment and is ultra-responsive to engine needs.
- Spark plug mounted "stick" ignition coils are compact and help reduce weight.
- Cassette-style transmission puts the transmission shafts and shifts into a compact layout that is easily removed as a single unit from the cases for easier maintenance.
- High tensile steel trellis frame is small and light.
- Designed using 3-dimensional computer analysis to achieve the optimum stiffness balance for better handling.
- Narrow at the knees and feet for rider comfort and control.
Single-shock Rear Suspension
- Braced swingarm and offset, laydown single rear and shock complement the frame design to create an integrated line flowing from the steering head to the rear hub.
- Short, compact frame and engine design allows the swingarm to be longer, which helps improve overall handling.
Triple Petal Design Brake Discs
- Petal design offers improved cooling and warp resistance.
- Same design found on the Ninja ZX-6R and ZX-10R supersports machines.
- Also found on the ZX-6R and ZX-10R, the 6-spoke design requires much less material between spokes so that the rim thickness is thinner and overall wheel weight is reduced.
- Low, narrow seat combined with the slim overall design allows riders to firmly plant both feet on the ground when stopped.
- Carefully designed ergonomics result in a natural, comfortable riding position.
- Textured seat cover helps keep the rider planted
- Stylish full fairing with aerodynamic windscreen cuts through the wind and helps protect the rider.
- Integrated front turn signals with clear lenses enhance appearance.