- Light, powerful and bristling with knowledge gained from years of racing, the YZF-R6 is the most advanced production middleweight motorcycle Yamaha - or anybody else - has ever built.
- The YZF-R6 was the first production motorcycle with a fly-by-wire throttle system--for flawless response under all conditions.
- Straight frame concept: developed from the Yamaha M1 GP machine, the YZF-R6's steering head, swingarm pivot and rear axle all lie in a straight line--for unsurpassed handling--with an inline four-cylinder engine designed for optimal layout and mass centralization.
- Slipper-type back torque-limiting clutch greatly facilitates braking/down shifting from high speed.
- Formula 1-style air management presents very small frontal area for excellent aerodynamics; ram-air induction ducts cool, high-pressure air through the steering head for optimal combustion, more horsepower and enhanced engine cooling.
- The YZF-R6 is the AMA Supersport Champion in its rookie season.
- Compact, lightweight 67 x 42.5mm 599cc DOHC 16-valve liquid-cooled inline four-cylinder features titanium valves, 12.8:1 compression and compact combustion chambers for awesome, lightning-quick response.
- YCC-T (Yamaha Chip Controlled Throttle) uses a powerful ECU and multiple sensors to provide perfect, smooth engine response and optimal power whenever the throttle is twisted, under all conditions.
- Twin-injector fuel injection: shower-type injectors above each intake funnel help achieve optimum fuel atomization at high rpm.
- Back torque-limiting slipper clutch greatly facilitates braking and downshifting from high speed. Close-ratio six-speed transmission delivers seamless power and maximum acceleration.
- Despite the increased bore, piston and pin weight has been reduced for more power and smoothness; 1mm smaller main journals reduce friction while 1mm larger connecting rod journals increase performance.
- Compact slant-block engine design uses widely triangulated gearbox shafts to make the GP-derived, straight frame concept work; optimum weight distribution and excellent handling are the result.
- GP-style titanium muffler contributes to mass centralization, and contains EXUP, an O2 sensor and catalyzers for a broad powerband, spot-on injection and EU-3 emissions compliance.
- Linerless, direct-plated ceramic-composite cylinder bores mean greater heat dissipation for consistent power delivery and reduced friction--also a narrow engine.
- Cool magnesium valve and engine covers are light and stylish. Curved radiator with twin-ring cooling fans keeps everything cool.
- Direct ignition coils, dual-electrode spark plugs and high-output magneto deliver extremely accurate, reliable firing.
- Deltabox aluminum frame incorporates GP thinking in terms of engine positioning and rigidity for the ultimate in 600 class handling.
- MotoGP-style 52.5-percent front-wheel weight bias helps produce razor-sharp handling.
- Light, Controlled Fill swingarm pivots high in the frame, for increased anti-squat effect and mid-corner stability. TZ-type chain adjusters ease rear tire changes.
- Four-way adjustable (preload, high-speed compression, low-speed compression and rebound damping) inverted fork with 41mm tubes increases freedom in setting up for street or track use; soak up the bumps and resist bottoming when braking.
- Four-way adjustable (preload, high-speed compression, low-speed compression and rebound damping) piggyback rear shock delivers exceptional rear wheel tracking and stability.
- Dual 310mm front disc brakes use forged one-piece radial-mount calipers and radial-pump front master cylinder with adjustable lever for astounding braking power and feel.
- Removable CF die cast rear subframe is light and strong.
- Super-light five-spoke 17-inch wheels are light and strong; the casting technique makes the rim section light, not to mention wickedly cool-looking.
- Quick-detach license plate holder and rear turnsignal mount makes prepping for track days or racing a snap.
- Built-in lap timer is controlled by a right-handlebar switch.
- Multifunction digital and analog instrumentation features: programmable shift light, digital speedometer, analog tachometer, dual tripmeters with miles-on-reserve function, odometer, water temp gauge and lights for neutral, high beam, low fuel and turn signals.
- Standard toolkit located in convenient storage compartment under passenger seat.
Type: 599cc, liquid cooled, 4-stroke, forward inclined inline 4 cylinder, DOHC, 16-titanium valves
Bore x Stroke: 67.0 x 42.5mm
Compression Ratio: 12.8:1
Carburetion: Fuel injection w/ YCC-T
Ignition: Digital TCI
Transmission: 6-speed w/multi-plate slipper clutch
Final Drive: #525 V8 O-ring chain
Suspension/Front: 41mm inverted telescopic fork w/adjustable preload, separate high & low-speed compression damping, rebound damping; 4.7" travel
Suspension/Rear: Single shock w/adjustable preload, separate high & low-speed compression damping, rebound damping; 4.7" travel
Brakes/Front: Dual 310mm floating discs w/radial mount, forged 4-piston calipers
Brakes/Rear: 220mm disc w/ single-piston caliper
Seat Height: 33.5"
Rake (Caster Angle): 24
Fuel Capacity: 4.6 gal.
Oil Capacity (with oil filter change): 3.59 qts.
Dry Weight: 357 lbs.
Main Jet: Not Applicable
Main Air Jet: Not Applicable
Jet Needle: Not Applicable
Needle Jet: Not Applicable
Pilot Air Jet 1: Not Applicable
Pilot Outlet: Not Applicable
Pilot Jet: Not Applicable
Primary Reduction Ratio: 85/41 (2.0731)
Secondary Reduction Ratio: 45/16 (2.8125)
Gear Ratio - 1st Gear: 31/12 (2.583)
Gear Ratio - 2nd Gear: 32/16 (2.000)
Gear Ratio - 3rd Gear: 30/18 (1.667)
Gear Ratio - 4th Gear: 26/18 (1.444)
Gear Ratio - 5th Gear: 27/21 (1.286)
Gear Ratio - 6th Gear: 23/20 (1.150)
Warranty: 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)
$9,299 (Team Yamaha Blue) Available from October 2006
$9,399 (Charcoal Silver) Available from October 2006
$9,399 (Candy Red) Available from October 2006