BMW has unveiled the latest of its HP models and the first HP based on a four-cylinder, the HP4. Like the HP2 Sport and Megamoto models, the HP4 is based on an existing BMW, the S 1000 RR. Chief among the upgrades is the first application of Dynamic Damping Control, the company's semi-active suspension system that varies front and rear suspension damping based on the riding mode selected, lean angle and road speed. Other changes from the standard S 1000 RR include a wider, 200/55 rear tire, forged aluminum wheels, a lighter batter and a titanium exhaust system. Together, the lighter components see the HP4 more than five pounds lighter than the S 1000 RR.
The HP4's electronics package has also been upgraded. The Race ABS system has been updated with an "IDM setting," which incorporates racing experience from the International German Motorcycle Championship into the ABS Slick mode's settings. The new setting "offers refined control impulses and allows maximum deceleration at the grip limit of the tires." The shift assistant is standard equipment, launch control has been added, and the Dynamic Traction Control parameters can now be adjusted in Slick mode to match changing conditions or rider preference. in Slick mode, an additional adjustment range of -7 to +7 is provided, which can be selected using the shift paddle provided on the left handlebar. The four engine modes (Rain, Sport, Race and Slick) all provide maximum power and identical throttle curves. While peak power is unchanged, torque has been increased in the 6000 to 9750 rpm range.
Our contact at BMW Motorrad USA informs us that the HP4 will be available in the U.S., with a press introduction planned for later this year.
BMW's summary of the technical highlights:
- Fork bridge with engraved number and HP4 logo.
- Lightest 1000 supersports bike with four cylinders: 199 kg (90% DIN unladen weight).
- Innovative suspension with Dynamic Damping Control DDC.
- Race ABS with IDM setting.
- Dynamic Traction Control DTC with fine adjustment in "Slick" mode.
- Launch Control.
- Adapted wheelie detection.
- New rear wheel tyres, 200/55 ZR 17.
- Shift assistant as standard.
- Light titanium exhaust system with controlled acoustic valve and interference pipe.
- Forged light alloy wheels, anodised in black.
- Radial monoblock brake calipers by Brembo with special brake pads.
- 9x floating brake discs at front.
- Extended, dual-section engine spoiler.
- Seat in monoposto look with passenger seat cover.
- LED turn indicators.
- Tinted windshield.
- Lighter 7 Ah battery.
- Performance-oriented engine set-up.
- Increased torque in the medium engine speed range.
An additional Competition Package will be available that includes the following:
- Long, closed engine spoiler made of carbon.
- Sponsor sticker kit included.
- Wheels in Racing blue metallic.
- HP Carbon badge carrier.
- HP Carbon tank cover.
- HP brake lever, hinged.
- HP clutch lever, hinged.
- HP rider footrest system, adjustable.