Aprilia has updated its RSV4 Factory model with ABS along with a host of refinements, including increased power, a larger fuel tank and new Brembo front brake calipers. The Factory's ABS was developed in conjunction with Bosch, with the 9MP ABS unit adding just 4.5 pounds in weights. The system can be disengaged or set to one of three levels, which in turn can be combined with any one of the three engine management settings.
The fuel tank has been modified to allow placement of the ABS control unit, but has increased in capacity by 1.5 liters and is more ergonomically shaped. The new front brake calipers are Brembo M430 radial-mount monoblock units and work with a new radial-pump master cylinder, while the rear caliper has also been updated. Other updates to the chassis include a lower seat height and the engine has been repositioned in the frame; both changes are claimed to improve weight distribution for better braking.
The full text of Aprilia's press kit for the 2013 RSV4 Factory ABS follows:
On the RSV4 Factory ABS MY 2013, APRC has been further implemented, advanced and refined in correspondence with the specific needs of street riding enthusiasts and professional track racers.
The new APRC, standard equipment on the Aprilia RSV4 Factory ABS Model Year 2013, includes:
- ATC: Aprilia Traction Control, the traction control system that can be adjusted on the fly, without closing the throttle, to 8 levels thanks to a practical joystick on the left handlebar, gains even higher performing and refined operating logic;
- AWC: Aprilia Wheelie Control, the wheelie control system, which can be adjusted to three levels, has been redefined in its operating methods;
- ALC: Aprilia Launch Control, for use on the track only, with 3 settings;
- AQS: Aprilia Quick Shift, for ultra-fast shifting without closing the throttle or using the clutch.
The new APRC integrates even better with the end electronic full Ride by Wire multimap management of the immensely powerful V4 engine.
In addition to the second generation APRC, the 2013 Model Year RSV4 Factory has highly advanced ABS, the wheel antilock system designed and developed to guarantee not only maximum safety on the road, but also the best performance on the track. Aprilia worked in close contact with Bosch to create the 9MP ABS unit, which constitutes the maximum in refinement and technology available today. The system, weighing in at just 2 kg, can be disengaged and adjusted to 3 different levels by easily accessing the sophisticated instrumentation control menu:
- Level 1 Track: dedicated to the track (but also approved for street use), it acts on both wheels and guarantees maximum possible performance, even in the most intense braking situations at any speed. This setting takes nothing away from the pleasure and performance of “pushing the envelope”.
- Level 2 Sport: dedicated to a sporty street ride, this setting acts on both wheels and is combined with an exclusive tip over control system (rear wheel lift-up mitigation) which operates progressively depending on the speed of the bike.
- Level 3 Rain: this is dedicated to riding on a surface with poor grip and acts on both wheels. It is combined with the exclusive tip over control system.
Each of these 3 ABS mappings can be combined with any one of the 3 engine management settings (Track, Sport, Road) in order to allow riders with different levels of experience and skill to find the best possible combination.
The new super sport bike from Aprilia can be recognised right away by the revamped style of the headlight assembly and the new exhaust silencer bottom.
The fuel tank was modified not only to facilitate placement of the ABS control unit, but also to improve range and rider ergonomics: in fact, the total capacity went from 17 to 18.5 litres, while the side panels introduce lines which increase the rider's feeling during braking and in turns. This solution was borrowed directly from the Aprilia RSV4 used in the World Superbike championship.
Higher chassis and engine performance
With the goal of improving the already exceptional decelerating capacity of the RSV4, the new Aprilia RSV4 Factory ABS has a completely new front braking system which stands out with the refined Brembo M430 radial mounted monoblock callipers and the new radial master cylinder on the handlebar.
The rear brake calliper was replaced with a more advanced and more efficient one, perfecting the combination with the new front brake. In the braking phase, as delicate as it is important, optimum weight distribution is fundamental: for this purpose the saddle was lowered and the RSV4 Factory ABS engine benefits from a different position within the frame, guaranteeing greater stability and control of the bike in the most intense braking manoeuvres.
The close derivation of the Aprilia RSV4 Factory ABS from the racing world is also clear in the engine specifications, the first mass produced high performance narrow V4 in the world, the most revolutionary and powerful engine ever built by Aprilia, made unique and unmistakable thanks to its use of “total” electronics, its record light weight and its extremely compact size.
On the new RSV4 Factory Model Year 2013 maximum power of the 65° V4 increases to 184 HP / 135.3 kW at 12,500 RPM, due partly to a redesigned exhaust system and finely tuned electronic management. Its torque performance increased as well, now reaching a maximum of 117 Nm at 10,500 RPM.