Northern Irishman Jonathan Rea came out on top of a wet second day of official preseason testing at Portimao, Portugal, putting his Hannspree Ten Kate Honda ahead of yesterday’s leader Leon Haslam riding the Alstare Suzuki by a couple of tenths. BMW’s Troy Corser leaped up to third quickest in the rain after struggling outside the top ten in the dry on Friday (teammate Ruben Xaus also improved dramatically as he ended up seventh quickest). World Supersport champion Cal Crutchlow and new Kawasaki signing Tom Sykes both demonstrated their British racing roots by continuing good form in the wet, with Yamaha’s Crutchlow a half second ahead of Sykes. Nori Haga also showed that he hasn’t forgotten his days of racing in the rain in Japan, with last year’s championship runner-up slotting his Xerox Ducati into sixth place. Pedercini Kawasaki’s Roger Lee Hayden continued to take his time getting up to speed as he finished again in 20th spot.
In World Supersport testing, Michele Pirro continued to shine on the Hannspree Ten Kate Honda as he topped the leaderboard for Saturday, ahead of yesterday’s leader, Kawasaki’s Joan Lascorz. American Jason DiSalvo finished in 11th spot in the wet conditions on the Triumph.
Testing results Day 2:
1. Jonathan Rea (IRL) Honda 1:49.107
2. Leon Haslam (GBR) Suzuki 1:49.391
3. Troy Corser (AUS) BMW 1:49.606
4. Cal Crutchlow (GBR) Yamaha 1:50.168
5. Tom Sykes (GBR) Kawasaki 1:50.616
6. Noriyuki Haga (JPN) Ducati 1:51.167
7. Ruben Xaus (SPA) BMW1:51.170
8. Sylvain Guintoli (FRA) Suzuki 1:51.253
9. Max Biaggi (ITA) Aprilia 1:52.108
10. Carlos Checa (SPA) Ducati 1:53.854
20. Roger Lee Hayden (USA Kawasaki 1:59.721