Leon Haslam led the first day of preseason testing for the 2010 World Superbike Championship at Portimao, Portugal, taking his Alstare Suzuki to the top of the timesheets in both superbike sessions. The British rider led a large contingent of his fellow countrymen in the top ten, with Yamaha rider Cal Crutchlow coming in a couple of tenths of a second behind, and Ten Kate Honda’s Jonathan Rea right behind. Aprilia’s Max Biaggi was the first rider to break the British monopoly by ending up fourth quickest (one of the few not to improve on his time from the first session), with former Yamaha MotoGP pilot James Toseland landing in fifth spot. The BMW and both Kawasaki teams are taking their time getting up to speed, with Corser 13th and teammate Xaus 15th on their BMWs, and Tom Sykes leading the Kawasaki riders in 12th; Pedercini Kawasaki’s new signing Roger Lee Hayden ended up in 20th spot.
In World Supersport action, Spaniard Joan Lascorz topped the highly competitive field on his Kawasaki, with new Ten Kate Honda signing Michele Pirro slotting in second, and Portuguese homeboy Miguel Praia on his Parkalgar Honda third. American Jason Disalvo—newly signed to the Triumph BE1 team in the wake of former rider Garry McCoy being unceremoniously sacked—finished the day in 10th spot.
Testing continues tomorrow in preparation for the opening race at Australia’s Phillip Island circuit on Feb 28.
Superbike First Day results:
1. Leon Haslam (GBR) Suzuki 1:42.778
2. Cal Crutchlow (GBR) Yamaha 1:42.960
3. Jonathan Rea (IRL) Honda 1:43.033
4. Max Biaggi (ITA) Aprilia 1:43.364
5. James Toseland (GBR) Yamaha 1:43.378
6. Shane Byrne (GBR) Ducati 1:43.569
7. Noriyuki Haga (JPN) Ducati 1:43.574
8. Michel Fabrizio (ITA) Ducati 1:43.711
9. Carlos Checa (SPA) Ducati 1:43.870
10. Leon Camier (GBR) Aprilia 1:43.903
20. Roger Lee Hayden (USA) Kawasaki 1:48.317