Light, powerful and bristling with knowledge gained from years of racing, the YZF-R6 is the most advanced production 600cc motorcycle Yamaha – or anybody else – has ever built. The 2009 AMA Daytona 200 Champion and this year’s best selling supersport, it is no surprise that the YZF-R6 is back for 2010, ready to tackle the track and the street.
Yamaha’s MotoGP technology made its way to the YZF-R6, including YCC-T (Yamaha Chip Controlled Throttle), an advanced fly-by-wire throttle system that translates wrist commands into seamless, smooth power delivery. New for 2010, the R6 gets a remapped Engine Control Unit and a new 100 mm longer muffler for increased performance. YCC-I (Yamaha Chip Controlled Intake) is a variable intake-length system that broadens the powerband and reinforces the R6’s amazing high-rev hit. The R6’s ramp-type slipper clutch greatly reduces engine braking for smoother high-speed corner entries.
In the YZF-R6s chassis department, you’ll find a magnesium sub frame, titanium exhaust, and Controlled-Fill die-cast aluminum chassis parts. All this adds up to a bike that snaps into corners, clings to inside lines, and shoots itself down the next straight.
The 2010 YZF-R6 will be available in dealerships nationwide beginning January 2010 with a starting MSRP of $10,490. The YZF-R6 will be available in Raven, Pearl White and Team Yamaha Blue/White.
NEW FOR 2010:
- The new, 100mm-longer muffler is designed for excellent power characteristics and reduced noise.
- The ECU settings have been revised for increased performance.
- Compact, lightweight 67mm x 42.5mm, 599cc DOHC 16-valve, liquid-cooled titanium-valved four-cylinder has a compression ratio of 13.1:1, for great response. Domed pistons with valve cutouts produce a compact combustion chamber.
- Fuel injection mapping for the YCC-T—Yamaha Chip Controlled Throttle dual-injector system complements the high compression ratio for great throttle response and reduced engine braking.
- YCC-I—Yamaha Chip Controlled Intake electronically varies intake tract length for a broader powerband.
- A magnesium subframe removes weight from the rear of the motorcycle for increased mass centralization.
- Fork height adjustability and rear ride-height adjustment accommodate a great range of riders and tires.
- YCC-T uses a powerful ECU and multiple sensors to provide perfect, smooth engine response and optimal power whenever the throttle is twisted under all conditions.
- Twin-injector fuel injection: shower-type injectors above each intake funnel help achieve optimum fuel atomization at high rpm.
- Slipper-type back torque-limiting clutch greatly facilitates braking and downshifting from high speed. Close-ratio six-speed transmission delivers seamless power and maximum acceleration.
- GP-style titanium muffler contributes to mass centralization and contains EXUP® for a broad powerband, and 02 sensor for spot-on, injection and emissions compliance.
- Linerless, direct-plated ceramic-composite cylinder bores mean greater heat dissipation for consistent power delivery and reduced friction.
- Cool magnesium valve and engine covers are light and stylish.
- Direct-ignition coils, dual-electrode spark plugs and high-output magneto deliver extremely accurate, reliable firing.
- Deltabox® aluminum frame incorporates GP thinking in terms of engine positioning and rigidity for the ultimate in 600-class handling.
- The lightweight swingarm pivots high in the frame, for increased anti-squat effect and mid-corner stability. TZ-type chain adjusters ease rear tire changes.
- Four-way adjustable (preload, high-speed compression, low-speed compression and rebound damping) inverted fork with 41mm tubes increases freedom in setting up for street or track use; soak up the bumps and resist bottoming when braking.
- Four-way adjustable (preload, high-speed compression, lowspeed compression and rebound damping) piggyback rear shock delivers exceptional rear wheel tracking and stability.
- Dual 310mm front disc brakes use forged one-piece radial-mount calipers and radial-pump front master cylinder with adjustable lever for astounding braking power and feel.
- The casting technique for the five-spoke 17-inch wheels makes the rims light and strong, not to mention wickedly cool-looking.
- Removable rear shock spacer and adjustable fork ride height allows the rider to tailor the ride position for the best fit and comfort.
**Additional Features: **
- Built-in lap timer is controlled by a right-handlebar switch.
- Multifunction digital and analog instrumentation features: programmable shift light, digital speedometer, analog tachometer, dual tripmeters with miles-on-reserve function, odometer, water temp gauge and lights for neutral, high beam, low fuel and turn signals.
**Available Accessories: ** For availability of GYTR® products please go to yamaha-motor.com.
- Fuel economy estimates are based on US EPA exhaust emission certification data obtained by Yamaha. Your actual mileage will vary depending on road conditions, how you ride and maintain your vehicle, accessories, cargo, and operator/passenger weight.
**Wet weight includes the vehicle with all standard equipment and all fluids, including oil, coolant (as applicable) and a full tank of fuel. It does not include the weight of options or accessories. Wet weight is useful in making real-world comparisons with other models.
Specifications **Model: ** YZFR6ZL; YZFR6ZW; YZFR6ZB
**Engine Type: **599cc liquid-cooled inline 4-cylinder; DOHC, 16 titanium valves
**Bore x Stroke: **67.0mm x 42.5mm
**Compression Ratio: **13.1:1
**Carburetion: ** Fuel Injection with YCC-T and YCC-I
**Ignition: ** TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
**Transmission: **6-speed; multiplate slipper clutch
**Final Drive: ** Chain
**Suspension/Front: **41mm inverted fork; 4-way adjustable, 4.7-in travel
**Suspension/Rear: ** Single shock; 4-way adjustable, 4.7-in travel
**Brakes/Front: ** Dual 310mm floating disc; radial-mount 4-piston calipers
**Brake/Rear: **220mm disc; single-piston caliper
**L x W x H: **80.3 x 27.6 x 43.3 in
**Seat Height: **33.5 in
**Wheelbase: **54.3 in
**Rake (Caster Angle): **24.0°
**Trail: **3.8 in
**Fuel Capacity: **4.5 gal
***Est. Fuel Economy: **40 MPG
****Wet Weight: **417 lb
**Color: ** Team Yamaha Blue/White; Pearl White; Raven